Family Refuge Center is accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. Family Refuge Center (FRC) is a community-based nonprofit organization, located in Lewisburg, WV, providing shelter and supportive services to victims/survivors of dating violence, domestic violence, elder abuse, harassment, sexual assault, and stalking. FRC provides services in Greenbrier, Mercer, Monroe, and Pocahontas Counties.
The Executive Director is responsible for the programmatic and fiscal oversight of the organization. Required skills and experience: Bachelor’s degree, prior management, and non-profit experience, and grant writing.
Executive Director Position Description
In Program Development and Administration, the Executive Director will:
- Ensure that the organization has a long-range plan and strategy that achieve its mission in a consistent and timely progress.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans with the Board of Directors and staff and carry out the policies as authorized by the Board.
- Maintain official records and documents to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field.
In Communications, the Executive Director will:
- Keep the Board fully informed on the condition of FRC and all-important factors (internal and external) that could have an impact on the organization.
- Articulate and promote the organization’s mission and work to members, the press, public, and donors through the development and implementation of a media strategy.
- Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with relevant law enforcement, prosecutors, educators, agencies, groups, and organizations.
- Represent FRC to the general public.
In Staff Management, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for the recruitment, employment, development, and termination of all personnel, including paid staff, independent contractors, and volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed and reviewed regularly. Also ensures performance reviews are conducted annually and sound human resources practices are developed and followed.
- See that an effective team is in place with appropriate planning for succession.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and training in compliance with funders and Family Protection Services Board and assist staff in relating their specialized work to the programs and objectives of FRC.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse and qualified staff and a group of volunteers.
In Budget and Finance, the Executive Director will:
- Be responsible for the development and execution of sound financial practices with the support and director of the Board.
- Work with the Financial Director, Management Team, Finance Committee and Board to prepare an annual budget and ensure that FRC operates within its budget.
- Ensure the development and implementation of annual fundraising plans, including cultivating major donors, and assisting with special events.
- Ensure that adequate funds are available to permit FRC to carry out its work and its mission.
- Ensure that FRC maintains appropriate liability and Directors’ and Officers’ insurance.
- Review grants for accuracy and be able to provide solid grant management for each grant fund.
- Jointly, with the Board of Directors, conduct official correspondence of the organization and jointly with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated a commitment to domestic violence, dating violence, elder abuse, harassment, and sexual assault advocacy.
- Experience managing a nonprofit organization or equivalent work/management experience.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of sound human resource practices.
- Ability to organize and effectively handle multiple projects, meet regular deadlines with consistency and accuracy, work within a team structure, work under pressure and assist crisis response staff and clients.
- Experience fundraising and writing/managing grants
- Ability to operate effectively in the political arena.
- Ability to think strategically and develop/implement a strategic plan.
- Ability to work evenings or weekends as required.
- Understanding of and experience with financial management, corporate governance, evaluation, etc.
A graduate degree in a related field or undergraduate degree with equivalent work experience.
This position reports to Family Refuge Center’s Board of Directors.
Send cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
Deadline for submission is 2/1/19.